About Glasgow Family Childcare

  • Glasgow Family Childcare is an exceptional home daycare. Owned and operated by a former preschool teacher with over ten years of professional experience working with children. We are licensed, CPR and First Aid certified, finger printed, background checked and ready to PLAY! As a member of Green Care for Children our daycare is operated from a safe, clean, developmentally rich home in Carpinteria. Our daily schedule includes plenty of physical activities that encourage learning through exploration, free play, one on one time, sensory tables, arts and crafts, singing, story time, phonics for preschool-age, baby signs for infants and much, much more! We provide one healthy organic morning snack served family style to teach and encourage healthy eating habits, communication skills and manners. Let our highly qualified staff, love and care for your child in a playful and social home environment. We offer infant, toddler and drop-in care but space is limited so please call today!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Don't say "OK"

Sorry friends, I know it has been awhile since my last blog, life happens! But there is one little word that has shocked me out of my brief retirement. The word by itself may seem innocent enough but it can be the start of a big mess. I hear parents adding it to the end of almost all of there sentences when talking to their child, it sneaks its way in as a question and allows a child to believe they have a choice when a subject my be non-negotiable ....... ok.
"Mommy has to go to work now,ok?"
"Daddy will play with you after I finish feeding the baby, ok?"
"You have to hold my hand when we cross the street, ok?"
The immediate response from a three year old to all of these questions is normally "NO!" And I don't know about you but holding my spirited three year old daughters hand across the street is non-negotiable, so why ask, "ok" as if she has a choice in the matter. I am all for giving age appropriate choices when the options are something you can live with but some things shouldn't have wiggle room. You are just setting yourself up for an argument with a child.
A lot of the time I think parents mean to say, "Did you hear/understand me?" but why not just say that? Or even have them repeat back to you what they heard you say. My kids also know the meaning of, "non-negotiable." On the flip side sometimes there is wiggle room and you can ask them to "convince me."
All I am suggesting to my fellow parents it that you become aware of how often you add "ok" to the end of your sentence. Do they have a choice in the matter or not? Mean what you say, thats all and trust me, many of the little squables you have had with your child will go away just by leaving out that one little word......ok?

1 comment:

  1. OK...that is right on the mark for me right now! Life runs smoothly when instructions are clear for my lil' man...and unfortunately it is easy to slip into passive language. I laughed when I read the "convince me"...I can hardly wait for that time. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete