About Glasgow Family Childcare

  • Glasgow Family Childcare is an exceptional home daycare. Owned and operated by a former preschool teacher with over ten years of professional experience working with children. We are licensed, CPR and First Aid certified, finger printed, background checked and ready to PLAY! As a member of Green Care for Children our daycare is operated from a safe, clean, developmentally rich home in Carpinteria. Our daily schedule includes plenty of physical activities that encourage learning through exploration, free play, one on one time, sensory tables, arts and crafts, singing, story time, phonics for preschool-age, baby signs for infants and much, much more! We provide one healthy organic morning snack served family style to teach and encourage healthy eating habits, communication skills and manners. Let our highly qualified staff, love and care for your child in a playful and social home environment. We offer infant, toddler and drop-in care but space is limited so please call today!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Family that Ska's together . . .


My husband Matt is an amazing punk rock drummer and the worlds tallest! His first band Skamakazie, was started by nine of his buddies their senior year at Carpinteria High School, in 1995. They played mostly ska revival covers and some mellow punk, super fun. My friends and I would go watch them play at an all ages club called The Living Room before I even knew who Matt was. Skamakazie kinda faded out when some of the guys went off to college, but Matt has always continued to play and went on to be a touring musician, his current band is In The Red.
Three of the ten members found themselves living back in their home town this year and decided to get together, hang out and play some music in our band room. Ahhh, The Band Room aka The Hot Box, I have had mixed feelings about this room, but the room and the tall skinny man who loves it has grown on me alot in the past month. It used to feel like Matt would ditch me for band practice, like a boys club house and girls weren't allowed. There are also many times that I am so happy he has a place to go and let it all out. I may have even been a tad jealous, where could I go to blow off some steam?
A couple months ago, those three members of Skamakazie played a reunion show after 15 years at The Palms in Carp. All of their old friends they grew up with showed up, I have never seen The Plams so packed! The show was awesome, everyone was dancing and singing along. No surprise when they were asked to play a local fundraiser a few weeks later. Since it was a family friendly daytime event they needed to keep it mellow so they picked a bunch of Selecter and English Beat covers, but who would sing the female vocals?

ME! Me? Really? Sure I'll do that! What was I thinking! Alia learn to say "NO!"

I haven't performed since high school, all I do now is sing The Beatles to my babies and 'Head Shoulders Knees and Toes' at circle time! I couldn't believe I said yes, but I am so glad I did. I was finally invited into The Hot Box! Even the kids came in with ear muffs on to watch band practice, (heheheh...... band practice, me singing with a band.) I could see Matt's eyes water up, he was so happy to have his whole family, all crammed into his favorite part of the house, he was stoked to share that part of his life with us, what a cool Papa.
We ended up performing twice, once at a house party for a friends birthday, and then the next day at the fundraiser. I was really nervous, but over all I had such a good time. Thanks for letting me in the band Skamakazie! Repeat performance?


1 comment:

  1. You both rocked and I continue to be in awe of you and how you have raised such a well rounded family. Matt, can I come in the hot box if I promise not to sing?

    ReplyDelete